Phase 1 of DWC includes:
- A single A380-compatible runway
- A terminal with a capacity of seven million passengers per annum
- A cargo terminal building with a capacity of 250,000 tonnes per annum (expandable to 600,000)
Once completed in the mid-2020s:
- DWC will have up to four passenger terminals, and will accommodate up to 160 million passengers a year.
- It will have a final cargo capacity of 12 million tonnes per annum
- The airport will have a total of five parallel runways, 4.5km long, each separated by a minimum of 800m.
- The central terminal area (of the main terminal) will incorporate basements, which will house a fully automated baggage handling system capable of handling around 240 million bags per annum
DWC is designed to support aviation, tourism and logistics well into the future. The development is the region’s first integrated, multi-modal transportation platform connecting air, sea and land. Located in the vicinity of the Jebel Ali Port and Free Zone, DWC will make air-sea connectivity achievable in four hours.
DWC cargo volumes:
- 2012: 219,092 tonnes, Change: 144 per cent
- 2011: 93,017 tonnes
Average monthly cargo volume
- 2012: 18,258 tonnes
Cargo transit traffic: 44,052 tonnes (20 per cent of total cargo volumes)
- 2012: 16,317, Change: 99 per cent
- 2011: 8,198